fatkid

fatkid

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Watch My Sodium



Salt is great. Let's blog about it.



What the hell is this thing?

It's a giant fucking block of salt. That's right. A Himalayan salt block, which actually serves as a cooking surface. I've had this thing for a couple of years now and have honestly only used it a couple of times. It's definitely more of a novelty item, but whenever I use it, I'm extremely happy that I did.

There's no need to really season your food when you cook with this thing. It naturally imparts a mineraly, salty flavor to whatever you throw on top of it. You can bake food with it in the oven, sautee on top of your gas range, or use it as a fancy schmancy serving platter for cheeses or sushi. I decided to go with some shrimp.


Heat the salt plate up slowly, over a medium flame. You don't want direct flame on this thing, as it will cause it to crack. I know this because mine already has a giant crack in it. Give it like 15 minutes to heat up and throw your shrimp on there.

Since this was a lower level of heat, I cooked these things for around 5-8 minutes, turning them on each side to give them some salt love, and even setting them on their tops for a minute to make sure they were evenly cooked all around.

 


I then placed a couple of avacados in the food processor, with fresh basil, jalepeno, garlic, salt and pepper and pureed with olive oil until there was a happy consistency.

 


 I put it all together and snacked my face off.


This salt block thing is pretty cool. It really imparts an awesome, earthy salt flavor to food. I just need to find some more ways to use it before I break it. Or eat it.

That is all.

- Fat Kid

1 comment: