fatkid

fatkid

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beer Friends #2


I went outside of my comfort zone a bit with this one. The label on the back described it as “sunshine in a glass.”

Sounds like a beer for guys with highlights.

Still, I couldn’t help but be intrigued. I’ve always enjoyed the beers out of Brooklyn Brewery, but the Sorachi Ace sounded worthy of popping open over the Thanksgiving holiday, even if it did taste like fluffy clouds and rainbows. This style of beer represents a tradition dating back to 1988, as this hop variety was developed originally by the Japanese brewer, Sapporo. Brooklyn takes these hops and blends them with the same strain they use for their Belgian Ale.

All of this apparently brings the value of this horse shit to around 14 bucks a bottle. I’m not mad because it doesn’t taste good, but...ok let me explain.

Do you like Blue Moon? Cool. Then you’ll love this beer. It tastes like a Florida fucking citrus farm, not just because of the open-hand lemon slap that hits you in the face, but because you also get some fresh cut grass/earthiness rounding out the middle, followed by a finish that leaves your mouth feeling so fresh, you’d swear you just rinsed with lemon pine-sol. I on the other hand, cannot stand Blue Moon. I went through a “look-at-me-with-my-orange-slice-in-my-beer” phase in college where I drank myself sick of this stuff. The Sorachi Ace is brewed in that style. Light. Crisp. Clean.

My Dad said that he’d like to drink this beer after exercising on a hot day.
Alcoholic Gatorade.

Honestly though, this beer is quite refreshing. Pair this with lighter, seafood dishes. I paired it with my mouth/belly. If you like Belgian style ales you’ll certainly enjoy it. I’m just not sure it’s worth the money. I also just found out that these special “Japanese” hops are grown at their own farm in Oregon.

Apparently there are a ton of Japanese people in the diverse city of Salem.

I don’t think I’ve made a definitive point at all here.
Just save your money and drink some stupid Blue Moon.

Not a beer friend.

-Fat Kid

2 comments: